Sunday, January 11, 2009

Confessions of a...


I have never been pissed off and frustrated at a book more than this one.

Come to think of it.. I've never felt like this about any book I've read.

Books are usually enjoyable.. or boring = ..but not enraging lol (k, maybe I exagerate).


It started out fine. I found it rather amusing how addicted this woman was to buying items with no limitations on budget or need. Despite the fact that her job (as a financial journalist) was rather low paying, she still made purchases that she reasoned were good investments.

For example, she purchased a bowl she thought was rather ugly.. BUT it was featured in Marie Claire and at a bargain price of 100 pounds (originally 500). Thus, she concluded she was saving money. There's also a never ending theme of "people will think of me as the ... girl". Whenever she made purchases, she said to herself "people will think of me as the Marie Claire bowl girl" or the "ppl will think of me as the Chanel scarf girl". But as she was having these wonderful thoughts.. she was in major debt (and in no hurry to pay anything off, just kept spending).

Overall 3 things I didn't like about this girl:

1. highly materialistic (meaning followed ALL the trends ALL the brand names)

2. she lied (lied A LOT, about everything, to everyone)

3. she was a walking contradiction (being in the finance industry, advising ppl about their money, while she was drowning in her debt)

Those 3 things bugged me immensely. The more I learned about her and the more I spent my days with her, the more she pissed me off. Everything she did went against what I believe in.

F. ex: there was a moment where I shut the book closed and refused to read it for 2 days. Rebecca Bloomwood took a job as a banker (to try and pay off her debt) but on her resume she lied that she spoke Finnish. During her interview, her boss took her to a Finnish representative of the Helsinki bank. In fact, the reason Becca was even being considered as a candidate for this job opportunity was to increase relations with the London- based bank and the Helsinki Bank (lol). When forced to speak the language, however, the girl muttered something.. stuttered.. and ran away (literally). *Sigh, that just flipped me out; wtf.

Aneways, I resumed reading the book.. because I felt sorry for it. I started it.. so I thought to myself that I should finish what I've begun. The only thing that I appreciated about the book was that there was a happy ending. After drowning in all her lies, all her debt, and all her depression.. Rebecca landed a job on television and luckily fell in love. The End. Thank God for that.

I am NOT reading the sequel.

No comments: