Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Just a Story..or Two

So I have two cool stories today. Nothing spectacular.. but its definately out of the ordinary.

Story Number 1:
I saved the day on the subway
from a long ass train delay

I was reading my diva of a textbook (anatomy) on the subway this morning when I noticed that a dude was leaning against the subway doors causing them to open slightly. This is a problem considering that the doors he was leaning on weren't the ones that opened on the side of the platform (lol). Well, apparently I was the only one who thought that this was a problem because no one else spoke up about it. I was sitting rather far from the doors (on the double seats by the window) and the train sitting capacity was at max (meaning there were a few ppl standing on the train as well). So anyways I immediately spoke up, "Excuse me, you're holding the doors open.. the train won't move... Excuse me". So this dude obviously didn't hear me from under his headphones. So then I started waving my arms.. and get this> I get the attention of the guy standing next to him. Yes! there was another guy standing next to that guy. So two of them were blocking the doors- and one of them was leaning on them- keeping them open. So guy number two (with music in his ears as well) smiles at me, looks at the doors, laughs, and continues listening to his music. At this point I decide to try again.. "Excuse me...", when there's an announcement on the train, "We are currently experiencing a delay on Runnymede Station due to mechanical difficulties on the train". WTF?! why isn't anyone else helping me with this. So as I was gunna get up and walk towards the guy.. an older man grabs my hand and says, "Don't worry, I'll go". Dude Number one was startled, leaned forward, and the doors finally closed. As this happened the TTC subway operator was coming around checking the doors of the train- but she was checking all the doors on the opposite side. So I pointed her to the "problem" doors and someone else finally spoke up and told her about the problem. Then she went back to her lil booth- and the train moved.

Wow.. I mean- this problem could've been solved sooner if others helped me out. I'm working on my "speak out when you see something wrong" skills. lol. I mean, I'm pretty quiet n stuff but it bugs me soooo much when I see smtn not right and I let it pass.. I start regretting : so why not let it out when you have the opportunity? and get the credit you deserve. Live by the moment.

Story Number 2:
Ppl skills come in handy even at Home Depot!

So I ran out of tu(ooo)bing for my thesis project and decided to go to Home Depot. I still had a couple of dollars left over from my Professors pocket (no, I didn't steal his money lol).. so I emailed him 'n told him not to worry- I'd get the materials. So neways-- as I was in the store, a man walks past me and I briefly catch the side of his face> who was that? It was my high school principal. So as I continue scavenging the store, I stop and think to myself WTF.. why didn't I say hi. It's true I've only spoken once to him in my high school career (When I brang down the attendance to the office he says to me, "I've never seen you here before and I hope I never do. You must be a good girl" haha). But he was the coolest principal ever! (and he saved my bf's ass from possibly dropping hs- Nel, look at you now! you successful bum! :D ). So I ran all around the store looking for the Principal and then.. I saw him =) So I started asking him if he was who he was lol... and the convo developed into me telling him my life story and what I was up to. The convo ended with a hug, a telephone number- and possibly a chance to work with him or his env't biology frnd (who's conducting research on streams/rivers in Ontario) at Niagara University in Ontario (because that is where he is currently working). Amazing!

So yea =) I was telling my frnd yesterday we should work on our ppl skills.. cuz damn! one day later.. and they can sure come in handy! I recommend every1 do the same! it's worth it!
(even if it's "chopping" one of your professors haha jks :P)

No comments: