Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Night- Elie Wiesel

An autobiography... a true story of a fifteen year old boy's experience in Aushwitz.

"Never shall I forget that night, the first night in camp, that turned my life into one long night seven times sealed.
Never shall I forget that smoke.
Never shall I forget the small faces of the children whose bodies I saw transformed into smoke under a silent sky.
Never shall I forget those flames that consumed my faith forever.
Never shall I forget the nocturnal silence that deprived me for all eternity of the desire to live.
Never shall I forget those moments that murdered my God and my soul and turned my dreams into ashes.
Never shall I forget those things, even were I condemned to live as long as God himself.
Never", p 34.

"What are you, my God? I thought angrily. How do you compare to this stricken mass gathered to affirm to you their faith, their anger, their defiance? What does Your grandeur mean, Master of the universe, in the face of all this cowardice, this decay, and this misery? Why do you go troubling this poor people's wounded minds, their ailing bodies?", p 66 .

"I no longer pleaded for anything. I was no longer able to lament. On the contrary, I felt very strong. I was the accuser, God the accused. My eyes had opened and I was alone, terribly alone in a world without God, without man. Without love or mercy. I was nothing but ashes now, but I felt myself to be stronger than this Almighty to whom my life had been bound for so long. in the midst of these men assembled for prayer, I felt like an observer, a stranger". xx

No comments: