Saturday, October 25, 2008

The Classics


During my spare time this week I've really gotten into watching some classic black and white (and not only) movies. I've never had the opportunity to watch these movies because 1. didn't have the "resources", 2. didn't have the need to do so, 3. i've been so focused on the future that I forgot about the past.

By resources, I mean an awesome website I discovered (well, my bf's fams discovered) that has every movie you can think of.. except HighSchool Musical3 (haha :P). Now the money which was put aside to purchase dvd's can be used to buy myself a berret (yes, a berret!). Hello awesome movie website! How much I love thee.

Number 3 is a tricky one to discuss. Yes, school has been on my mind a lot as of late which leads to my future. But another "future" factor, or "future" excuse- has been my focus on the new movies coming out soon. Ex. James Bond, Quantum of Solace Nov. 14- which looks sooo good! With all this limited excitement I forgot about those good ol' movies =(

Aneways, I just had had had to watch (in no particular order):

1. Casablanca (1942).. and I loved it! So smoky, smooth, and mysterious! About a love that is cursed by the war- and a husband that "comes back to life"- which ruins a new love that developed in his absence. A must see!

2. Sabrina (1955). Audrey Hepburn is adorable! I love her- such a collected, classy woman! the plot of the story is very good- also about love, or rather obsession.. and money! This movie ranks high in my fav romantic films (1. Notebook, 2. Pride and Prejudice, 3. Atonement**, 4. Sabrina)

**I just had to mention, Atonement, the movie is MUCH better than the book. I found the book a bit dull ( no offense to the author) lol- he didn't capture the 'love' as well as the movie did (one exception though is the author's description of the library love scene- THAT was very good-probably the best I've ever read).

3. The Birds (1960). Thriller, not really- Alfred Hitchock's Birds is a depiction of my life and your life, if 'the birds attacked. It's plot is slow and realistic- even scientifically reasonable lol. I liked it.

4. Jurassic Park (1995). Yes, for me this is a classic. I have not seen this movie up until now.. and WOW I am in love. Probably the best movie with precise (or rather correct) scientific explanations that are not thrown out of proportion. I would love to be that scientist working on that DNA sample! Aneways, the plot is exciting...

...unlike that of Jurassic Park III. I liked part III but to a certain extent. I thought Spielberg focused waayyy too much on the raptors being able to communicate- come on now, it was kinda cheesy the way the main character was trying to decipher what those dinosaurs were saying to eachother. I wonder if this is what his life's research led him to conclude: "lets just take the eggs" says Bob the Raptor, "no, lets eat the humans" says Steve the Raptor, "No, they look nice, I chewed on the other human- he didn't taste so good, I'm gunna take the eggs"... BAM! the raptors have feelings!- shit, is that a possible theme for Jurassic ParkIV? hope not.

5. Pretty Woman (199?3). A prostitute's dream come true! Damn that girl was lucky- she landed the Ace of Aces! shucks that Harrison Ford is a hunk! ..was a hunk, is a hunk.. was/is.. i dont know anymore (he looks ageless in Indiana Jones lol). I guess in a way they were both pretty women.. awwww *tear. True love.. but really? would you date a prostitute? This all seems kinda iffy. Aneways, thumbs up for the plot and idea-- which really shows us that anything is possible *insert Sarah Palin wink*.
6. Romeo + Juliet (1996). *Starts to drool*.. Leeooo DiCaprio. Enough said.

No comments: