Thursday, May 29, 2008

Shutup and Drive

GREY.
A Honda Civic 2000 pulls up to the right of me.
-Ha! you're mine-
The 30 something year old, wearing dark cool shades, looks at me.
-Loser, he doesn't know what I'm capable of-
GREEN.
Quick reflex; the swift, light movement of the right foot. Press hard, and release.
-Oh how good it feels-
In a matter of seconds, to go from a speed of nothing to...
-He's way behind, I observe glancing in the mirror. I see that blotch of grey that used to be his car. What a rush; satisfaction.-
... 50(km/h).. slowly rising to 60.
-No more. Don't push yourself. I proved what this sexy car can do-
Easy, smooth ride, 55, stay within the speed limit.
Left turn. I love this part of the street. The trees aline the pavement, their leaves letting blotches of sunlight peer through. Shadow, sun, shadow, sun... 50 (km/h).
-Damn. A line of cars before me, following eachother as if pulled by one string. I look at my speed... 35?!
-Who's that idiot pulling us??-
I open my window, let my arm feel the cool breeze. Maybe it'll tan- just one side of my body.
I open the sun roof. Better. Air- breathe.
Finally, the tempo picks up. Oh glorious 55!
But it'll end soon.
Sharp right semi-circle; the pavement curves.. 30 (km/h).. I dutifully obey. Yield at the end.
STOP.
My favourite part. I roll my window up. Glance left, glance back. Prepare yourself.
ACCELERATE.
Press that foot down hard. Listen to the engine roar!
I see it - flicker left, change lanes- 60!.. 65!.. 70 (km/h)! Lakeshore!- beautiful. 75..no more!
That limit is there again.
-Relax, I say to the car.
Turn the radio on.. 97.3. Yess.. boogie music! The 70's, the era I should've been born.
-"I feel like dancin' toniiighht!"
We pass the other cars, Lex and I.
Lagging by, they disappear, from the right- gone, the left- gone.
Behind.
This is nice. No-one controlling me, I make the rules here. I hold responsibility in my hands, I make the decisions.
- That's right biatches- I say to the cars awaiting to turn on my street- yield before me!- Let me pass!-
TRAFFIC.
-Shit... 30 (km'h). Spoke too fast, too soon.
The window rolls down, arm out again.
-Jeeezz! just what I was expecting.
I look in the mirror. Behind me that grey Honda again. Great.
-He wants revenge, that bastard, you see?
I'm not gunna let him. Gotta get away. He can't catch me.
-Bye sucka! I say to him, turning left into a smaller street.
High Park- Queensway- almost there.
I'm too good, too slick for him- me 'n this car (I need this Ego Boom!)
I'm truly satisfied again.
-50... 55.. 60 (km/h) Come on, Lex- Drive on.

2 comments:

Simone said...

I think this is very good! It is interesting. =)

Cristina said...

i seriously need to get my license!!!! :D